CELEBRATING 90 YEARS YOUNG
WOW!!! What a journey Fifth Avenue Baptist Church has traveled and
what blessings God continues to give as we journey forward.
The journey began September 20, 1925; a small group known as Calvary
Baptist Church began worshiping on the corner of 5th Avenue South and 6th
Street South. Another church known as Grace Baptist Temple was worshiping
on the corner of 4th Street and 1st Avenue South and Pastored by Dr. W. A.
Hobson. He suggested the two churches merge. On September 28, 1927,
the two churches merged and became known as Fifth Avenue Baptist Church
with Dr. George Stair as the first Pastor.
Dr. Hobson resigned from Grace Temple Baptist Church in 1927 and began
working with Russell Park Mission located at the corner of 40th Street and
4th Avenue North. Dr. Hobson wanted a more appropriate location for the
church. He was shown the three (3) lots on the corner of Disston Blvd and
5th Ave North. These lots were centrally located and on the highest ridge in
the city. Dr. Hobson was so impressed with these lots and being led by God
used his own money to purchase them. Little did he know that years later
the church located on these lots would become Firth Avenue Baptist Church.
Through the years, the church grew in numbers; additional property was
purchased, and in 1961, the church was named Emmanuel Baptist Church
and would remain Emmanuel until the merger with Fifth Avenue Baptist
For the next few decades Emmanuel and Fifth Avenue Baptist grew in
numbers, new sanctuaries were built, mission churches were started, music
ministries were introduced In the spring of 1994, All Children’s Hospital
bought the property of Fifth Avenue Baptist Church. For the next year, Fifth
Avenue was in the “wandering” phase. The congregation met in a couple of
facilities until a permanent location could be found. These facilities were
Northeast High School and Northeast Park Baptist Church. On September
24, 1994, Emmanuel Baptist Church and Fifth Avenue Baptist Church were
united. While the church building was being remodeled, the members
worshiped at the Seventh Day Adventist Church and the Palm Lake Christian
Church. Rev. Ray Jones took the pulpit as Pastor of Fifth Avenue on
September 1, 1996. His theme for 1997 was “God is Always Trying to Take us
Some Place New!”
From 1994 -2014, God provided strong leaders to teach and inspire us, and
continues to pour out blessings beyond our greatest expectations.
On June 14, 2014, Dr. Hal Kitchings accepted the call to be Pastor of Fifth
Avenue Baptist Church. Pastor Hal and his wife Kellie are committed in
leading the church to be all that God wants His church to be.
Under his leadership, he brought us God’s Vision for Fifth Avenue: Pastor
Hal’s Moto is "For the Love of St Pete”.
Our Mission: Love God, Love People
Our Vision: Impacting St Pete and beyond through worship, connection
groups, and serving
FIFTH AVENUE MINISTRIES
© 2018 Fifth Avenue Baptist Church
July 24th, 11AM - 12:30 PM
December 14 & 15, 6-7:30PM
Wednesday Jan 2nd, 6:30PM
Sunday, December 16th, 9AM
December 16th, 9 AM